Made with our Calivines Merlot
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound beef stewing meat, trimmed and cut into inch cubes
- 5 teaspoons Calivirgin Rustic Rosemary Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Calivinegar Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 cup Calivines Merlot
- 3 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine the flour and pepper in a bowl, add the beef and toss to coat well. Heat 3 teaspoons of Calivirgin Rustic Rosemary Olive Oil in a large pot. Add the beef a few pieces at a time. Cook, turning the pieces until beef is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch; add more oil as needed between batches.
- Remove the beef from the pot and add Calivinegar Red Wine Vinegar and Calivines Merlot. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Add the beef, beef broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- Cover and cook, skimming broth from time to time, until the beef is tender, about 1½ hours. Add the onions and carrots and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more. Add broth or water if the stew is dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste.