Made with our Calivines Merlot
- 1 6-ounce piece day-old French bread, crust left on, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- All purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons Calivirgin Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Calivines Merlot
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 cups canned beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Combine bread pieces and whole milk in medium bowl, pressing on bread to submerge; let stand until milk is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Squeeze out most of milk from bread, discard milk. Place bread in a large bowl.
- Add ground beef, eggs, finely chopped onion, ½ cup chopped Italian parsley, salt, pepper, and mix well. Transfer meat mixture to processor. Process until well blended and mixture looks pasty.
- Form mixture into 2-inch diameter meatballs, about 30. Divide meatballs between two 13x9x2 inch glass baking dishes. Bake meatballs 30 minutes. Set meatballs aside.
- Dust meatballs with flour; shake off excess. Melt butter with Calivirgin Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add meatballs to skillet and sauté until brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Return all meatballs to skillet.
- Whisk wine and tomato paste in a small bowl to blend. Add wine mixture to meatballs and bring to boil. Continue boiling until wine thickens slightly, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, reduce heat to medium and simmer until flavors blend and gravy thickens, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer meatballs and gravy to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.