Made with our Calivinegar Blood Orange Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 pound whole Pekin duck
- Salt, to taste
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lemon, chopped
- ½ cup Calivinegar Blood Orange Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 lemon , freshly squeezed juice
- ¼ cup honey
- Take the duck out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking to bring it more or less to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the giblets from inside the duck. Rinse the duck, inside and outside, with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Set the duck on the working surface. Score the duck's skin on the breast in a diamond pattern, making sure you only cut the skin, without reaching the meat. Poke the other fatty parts of the duck with the tip of the knife all over, to ensure fat release. You don’t need to poke the duck legs as the skin is pretty thin there.
- Season the duck very generously with salt both inside the cavity of the duck and outside on the skin, legs, all over. Place the duck breast side up.
- Put 5 chopped garlic cloves and lemon slices inside the duck cavity (these are just for flavor, not for eating - you will discard them after cooking). The duck will have flapping skin on both ends - fold that skin inwards, to hold the garlic and lemon inside. Tie up the duck legs with butcher's twine.
- Place the bird breast side up on a large roasting pan with a rack (roasting pan should have a roasting rack to lift the duck from the bottom of the pan and allow the fat to drip below the duck). Roast the duck, breast side up, for 1 hour at 350°F.
- After 1 hour of roasting, flip the duck on its breast and roast it breast side down (roast the other side) for 40 minutes, at 350°F.
- Remove the roasting pan with the duck from the oven, carefully remove the duck to a platter, and pour off all the duck fat juices from the roasting pan into a large heat-proof bowl or container.
- Flip the duck breast side up again on a rack in a roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine ½ cup of Calivinegar Blood Orange Balsamic Vinegarwith the freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon. Brush all of the duck with the balsamic mixture and cook the duck breast side up for another 40 minutes at 350 F, brushing every 10 minutes with the mixture.
- Now, in a separate small bowl, combine ¼ cup honey and 3 tablespoons of balsamic mixture that you will have left over from the previous step. Brush the breast side of the duck with this balsamic mixture, and roast for another 40 minutes, brushing the duck breast side every 10 minutes with balsamic mixture.
- After the duck is cooked, remove it from the oven, let duck stand for 15 minutes. Then, carefully remove and discard the lemon from the cavity.
- Carve the duck and serve!
Blood Orange Balsamic Vinegar