Made with our Calivines Merlot
- 4 Italian sausage links
- 2 tablespoons Calivirgin Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into 3 inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 3 inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 3 inch strips
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced into slivers
- 1 large onion, sliced into ¼-inch half-moons
- 1 15-ounce can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ cup Calivines Merlot
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt, to taste
- Heat Calivirgin Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium-high heat in a large pan that has a lid. When the oil is hot, add the sausages and gently brown. Cook for several minutes, turning them occasionally so they brown on all sides. When the sausages are browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat to high and add the onions and peppers. Toss to coat with the oil in the pan and sear, stirring every so often. Once the onions and peppers soften, sprinkle with salt, add the garlic, and cook for one more minute.
- Add Calivines Merlot. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a metal spatula or wooden spoon to release all the browned and blackened bits. Let the wine cook down by half.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and stir well to combine. Add the sausages back in. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the peppers are soft and the sausages are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Serve over polenta, penne pasta, or on a hoagie roll.