We made it with our Calivines Merlot
Total Time: 50 min
- 4 Italian sausage links, sweet hot or a couple of each
- 2 tablespoons of Calivirgin Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into 3 inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 3 inch strips
- 1 bell pepper of another color of your choice, cut into 3 inch strips
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced into slivers
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup Calivines Merlot wine, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pan that has a lid. When the oil is hot, add the sausages and brown them slowly. If they sizzle and crack too much, turn the head down. You want a gentle browning, not a sear. Cook for several minutes, turning them occasionally so they brown on all sides. When the sausages are browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat to high and add the onions and peppers. Toss so they get coated with the oil in the pan and sear them as well as you can, stirring every so often. Once the onions and peppers soften, sprinkle some salt on them. Once you get some blackening from a good sear on the onions and peppers, add the garlic, and cook for one more minute.
- Add the Merlot if you are using. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a metal spatula or wooden spoon to release all the browned and blackened bits. Let the wine cook down by half.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes, (if using) and stir well to combine. Add the sausages back in. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the peppers are soft and the sausages are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Serve over polenta, penne pasta, or load it up on a hoagie roll. Sausage and peppers and onions will keep in the fridge for several days.